Login

 

Forgot password?
submarines shipbuilding Black Sea Fleet exercise Pacific Fleet Russian Navy Northern Fleet strategy cooperation Ukraine visits Russia piracy missiles trials Sevastopol history Sevmash presence contracts drills Baltic Fleet industry incident anti-piracy shipyards training Gulf of Aden frigate Somalia India developments reforms opinion Borei policy procurements Russia - India aircraft carrier Crimea arms exports USA St. Petersburg tests France financing Bulava Yury Dolgoruky US Navy Serdiukov cruise Mediterranean Zvezdochka NATO innovations United Shipbuilding Corporation Indian Navy Medvedev Arctic agreements commission Admiralteyskie Verfi Admiral Gorshkov Vladivostok Mistral accident hijacking corvettes overhaul Russia - France Admiral Kuznetsov anniversary Rosoboronexport Vysotsky event ceremony Yantar Severomorsk defense order negotiations conflict aircraft China deployment naval aviation Putin investigations Black Sea Varyag coast guard Vikramaditya Novorossiysk landing craft Far East crime marines Severnaya Verf meeting scandals memorials Syria traditions Japan escort South Korea statistics Neustrashimy Yasen tenders Admiral Chabanenko convoys Marshal Shaposhnikov Ukrainian Navy Chirkov problems Severodvinsk reinforcement tension tragedy technology firings provocation frontier service Baltic Sea Almaz upgrade hostages search and rescue Caspian Flotilla Moskva court Dmitry Donskoy rumors Turkey keel laying helicopters Kilo class death Admiral Panteleyev Atalanta Kaliningrad World War II shipwreck Petr Veliky Rubin Admiral Vinogradov Norway launching delivery patrols
Search
Our friends russian navy weapons world sailing ships
 
Tell a friend Print version

Fragment of corvette Cheonan was brought to Russia

06/10/2010 
Text: Lenta.Ru
Photo: Cheonan. AFP
Russian experts who had investigated circumstances of Cheonan's shipwreck brought fragments of the corvette to Russia, reported RIA Novosti citing Viktor Ozerov, the chairman of defense committee at the Federation Council.

Referring to defense minister Anatoly Serdiukov, Ozerov said that the experts would need about a month to complete inquiry, make conclusions, and prepare a report of the shipwreck causes.

It was reported on June 7 that Russian experts had finished the investigation. Representative of S Korean defense ministry refused to tell which conclusions had they reached, having referred to the request of Russian party.

Russian experts departed for Seoul on May 31; it was offered by President Medvedev to render assistance to South Korea in finding of the incident cause.

Members of international commission from the US, Australia, UK, and Sweden had came to Seoul before. Those experts confirmed the version that Cheonan had been torpedoed by N Korean submarine. DPRK had renounced this accusations.

Corvette Cheonan sank in the Yellow Sea late March; 46 sailors died, 58 managed to survive. Seoul says it has an evidence of N Korea's involvement. Relations between the Korean countries became strained after the shipwreck. S Korea requested UN Security Council to apply sanctions against Pyongyang; North Korea declared withdrawal from the nonaggression pact.

Back to the news list